St. Sebastian Parish School is Celebrating its 90th Anniversary
Jul 02, 2019
While the parish was established in July of 1928, with early Masses held at the Rankin School gym, the school did not open until the fall of 1929.
For the first few months, the Sisters of the Humility of Mary operated the school in a Knights of Columbus building on West Market Street. Earlier in 1929 the parish began construction of a combined church and school building. The school portion of the building was completed first, with classes starting on Nov. 1. The church was completed soon after, with the first services held in what is now Zwisler Hall on Nov. 28, 1929.
Since its establishment 90 years ago, St. Sebastian Parish School has been home to more than 5,800 students and maintains a proud tradition of excellence in academics in a Christ-centered environment. Many activities are planned in honor of the school’s 90th anniversary, including the Project Spruce Up effort to renovate the school hallways and stairwells, a new website for the school and parish, a classroom improvement initiative, a new statue of St. Sebastian for the school, and a Roaring ’20s theme for the annual Spectacular fundraiser.
The St. Sebastian Parish Foundation is also hosting a “Come Home for the 90th” event Nov. 29. We invite everyone (alumni, parents, teachers and friends of St. Sebastian Parish School) to join in the anniversary celebrations at this event, where you can enjoy music, refreshments, school tours and reconnecting with the St. Sebastian community.